Monday, August 11, 2014

The post I didn't want to write


This is my Monty Q. He's been a part of my family for over seven years now, ever since I went to the shelter to look at Russian Blue kitten. The kitten was a holy terror, and the lug in the photo was sound asleep in a crate full of kittens. After three stepped on him without a single reaction, I knew he was the cat for me. He's been there to help welcome home three more little sticky beans, show them the way of the Empty Box, and just be there.

Until now. Monty's been missing since Thursday, and I think...I think he's gone. He's never gone on walkabout for this long. We'd see him every morning and night, waiting for kibbles and fresh water. Or he'd saunter in for naptime, and then head out once his little boys were up. Maybe he'd go a day without checking in, but that's the longest time period. Something doesn't feel right about this. I don't think he's coming home.

My hopes are that he's just pulled a Dude Newman and sauntered into another family's home. I've crossed every appendage I can for that outcome. Or, if the worst has happened, that it was swift, painless, and he's protecting my girl for me.

It breaks my heart to post this. I keep looking outside, expecting to see him lounging on the driveway. Or hear him yowling an 'Okay, FINE. I'm coming' as he walks across the road for mealtimes. But for now, the driveway is clear and the air is quiet. And neither is right.

15 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Oh no - I am SO sorry. I will still purr for Monty to come home, you know, just in case. I really hope your feelings are wrong.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Oh no! I am so sorry that Monty is missing. I am sending strong purrs that he will come home again. Maybe he has got shut in a garage or an outhouse? Mum sends good thoughts too.

Ellen in Oregon said...

So sorry to hear your Monty is missing. It is an awful thing not to know where your pet is, but don't give up all hope.I have had cats that never went far suddenly disappear for up to a week and return OK. I later found out one was snooping in someone garage and got shut in when they went on a trip and one that had gotten into a cat fight and tended their wounds somewhere until they were able to get home. Check with places like Craigslist online & call vets in your area or emergency pet vets if any. Check cat shelters too if you haven't already. If you done everything you can. My Mom used to tell me, when I was constantly calling outside when one of my cats disappeared, that A cat comes home when it is ready to & not a minute before. She was right. I've had cats that came home like clockwork disappear for up to 6 days. I later found out he liked to nap in a stranger's garage & got locked in when they went on a trip. Another got in a cat fight & nursed his wounds for 5 days before he was able to get back home. I hope your bad feeling is wrong & that Monty returns soon. Expect the worst, but hope for the best. -5 days. I wish you were not having to go through this.

The Florida Furkids said...

OH NO! We're sending loud rumbly purrs to Monty....please go home!
We've heard of so many kitties who return after a long period of time and we hope Monty will be home soon.

The Florida Furkids

Megan said...

Thinking of you at what is a very stressful time. I hope, hope, hope that he turns up safe and sound.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Sending hugs, purrs and prayers to you and the kids. Tucker was gone fro three weeks before they found him. Do nor give up

Millie said...

My purrer is working on overdrive to bring Monty home.

Sending purrs and hugs your way.

Pufferoonie said...

Just reading now. Monty (maybe) and Robin Williams. Lets just hope Monty is on his way to see Millie. OMG, I hope he comes home. I've been through this. It's horrible. Take care.

The Florida Furkids said...

We wanted to check back to see if there's any word. Did you put out flyers? That's how we found Sniffie when she got out once.

The Florida Furkids

Hannah and Lucy said...

We are so sorry to read this and we will purr that Monty will just saunter in and look for his dish as if he'd only just stepped outside for a moment. We are sending purrs and kitty kisses.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

The Devil Dog said...

Ohh, this makes me so sad. Mom knows how you are feeling, as I went for my own little walk about a month ago. We are praying Monty is just being stubborn and comes home right away.

Roxy

Lovable Lily said...

We've got our paws crossed for your sweet Monty and of course for you too!

Hugs,
Lily Belle & Muffin

Samantha & Mom said...

Oh no!! Monty come home right now!! Lots of hugs and purrs for you all!!
Your TX furiends,
Samantha & Mom

Helen said...

No. Just No.
We're hoping for the best here in KC...
(((hugs)))
We have always adored MontyQ

Chesney Cats said...

So happy to see on FB that Monty came home!!
Monty, you're grounded!!